"A little progress each day adds up to big results."
Setting up a routine has really helped me make progress with my project. As soon as I get both kids to bed, I come downstairs and work on my scarf for 20 minutes before I watch TV. It helps me unwind and also keeps my hands busy so I do not do any mindless snacking which is an added bonus.
I was very hesitant to starts and felt defeated when it was hard for me to tie the slip knot to start. I had to pause and re-watch that party numerous times. I finally got it even though I was pulling on the opposite side of the string than they had stated. It may have been because my yarn is so thick that it would not pull the way they did. It is still holding up the way I ended up doing it so I think it is safe to say it worked.
I continued to start and stop the next part of the video a few times to make sure I was moving the yarn on the pegs the correct way. The last peg before needing to secure and use you pick tool to bring the yarn over the pegs was a tad confusing at first because you had to remember that you already wrapped it around and to go straight behind the next peg.
I just watched how to undo my slip knot from the anchor point since it is no longer needed as the yarn is very secure the longer it gets. Sometimes I find the yarn easy to lift over the pegs with my pick tool and sometimes it is difficult because it feel very tight. It can also feel that way when going back and push the yarn down before starting to wrap again. Since I just learned how to do this, I am sure I will start to notice what I am doing to make it easy or more difficult.
Once in a while when my kids are keeping themselves busy, I find myself gabbing my project and sneaking in some work when I can. Both kids are very curious so I told them that if this turns out I will look in to making them something next. I told my daughter that she can even help me with the next project. She was happy with that and sticking to her friendship bracelets for the time being.
Aside from my 20 minutes a night routine I have nicely established, I also watch videos. I make sure I watch a video about the project I am doing now, or other projects that seem like they will be fun later on. I also search for yarn or different patterns on Pinterest as well. Looking online keeps me motivated. Sharing my progress with friends and family over the phone is good motivation as well. I cant wait to get back to the stores because I feel like it will be easier to buy yarn in person than online.
I have been really good sticking to my routine and working on my project at night as well as doing things to better my loom knitting experience daily as well. The one thing I will be researching next is how to start a new skein on yarn because I am about to run out in the next few days.
The routine I set seems doable through summer. If I want to keep this up, I will have to find new places to squeeze in my loom work when school starts back up because I am usually finishing up chores and headed to bed after I get my kids to sleep.
Loom knitting seems like great hobby to have for a lot of people. As I am showing my friends and family my progress, they are wanting to put in requests already. I even had a few people say how interesting it looks and that they may be interested. I told them I would be happy to show them how to get started. I am by no means an expert, but I can get them in to the basics and share my looms for them to check it out before they buy their own.
Since I have had kids, it has been hard for me to make time for myself and do something for me. This has been so great and I am so happy that I am taking time out for me. Even when my routine needs to be changed late on because of a busy schedule, I feel that I will still be able to knit, I will just have to get even more creative.
video
elevator pitch

Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteIt looks great so far! I really like the colors, specially the blue. Setting a routine and sticking with it does make a huge difference. I have struggled with maintaining a consistent schedule since school closed. Staying up way to late and sleeping in has made it difficult to get motivated. I think setting aside 20 minutes every night to unwind and relax is great not only to work on your knitting but to help mentally during these crazy times. Looking forward to continue seeing your Genius Hour Project!
Stephanie. I like your color scheme for the scarf. It's look good! I'm excited to see the finished product. As a mom, I totally understand about the importance of having that time in the evening after the kids go to bed to unwind and relax. I'm glad you are able to do that with this genius hour.
ReplyDelete