Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Stephanie Haberer's Genius Hour Module 6

"Nothing is a waste of time if you learn something."

This learning process of my Genius hour project has taught me that I get aggravated quickly.  Sometimes, that results in my giving up.  However, thanks to this genius hour, giving up was not an option.

Though I was nervous at the beginning, I was also very excited to start.  When I actually finished my scarf (earlier than expected), I was very happy with myself.  I was happy that I was able to follow through with something I have never done before and actually end up with a final product.

I then was working on smaller projects; can koozies.  I think I may have thought that it would be way easier than the scarf because it was a lot smaller of a project.  However, i was wrong.  It was very hard to find a good video, and most required a smaller loom than I had.  The first one did not fit on the can and made me feel discouraged.  I then tried again.  I took this time to try new stitch patterns to practice without wasting good yarn and a ton of time since the project was smaller than most.

It was good to get some practicing done because I am going to need to start getting creative because there are not as many detailed videos as I had hoped for a larger variety of items to make.  However, I re-purposed the can Koozies and let my daughter have them for tops or shirts for her dolls.

I was pretty annoyed, but finally pushed through and made a hat.  My daughter loved it more than I had expected her to as well as some friends and family.  I learned that I gain motivation from praise and wanting to see the final result.  I then tried a different pattern and made myself a hat which I am also very proud of.  

When I see progress, I want to work for longer periods of time and more often.  I see myself squeezing in knitting time as much as I can.  I am looking for ways to get patterns for projects if I can not get a video.  I am searching for new yarn all of the time.  It has become a great hobby for me.  I just hope that I can remind myself that when I get discouraged it is ok and part of the learning process.   Not every thing I make is going to be perfect or easy and it is ok to get frustrated as long as I work through it.





3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie!

    Awesome work! I love the items you made and how you perservered despite the aggravation of learning a new thing. I'm glad you stuck with it because some of the things that you made reminds me of some items I can purchase at a Christkindlmarket that I love going to (but too often croweded) in downtown Chicago in the wintertime. That is exactly what our kids (and myself) need to learn. To not give up when things get difficult, and continue working at it until they reach their goal. Very inspiring. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie!

    It is so great to see the progress that you have made on learning a new skill! I am very impressed with the hats that you have made! They turned out really cute, and they are very stylish! It is great that your daughter is seeing you persevere with the task and stick with something till the end. Lucky her, looks like she will end up with some cute hats and scarfs from this project! Keep up the great work!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie. You're getting so good at these!!!

    ReplyDelete