Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Stephanie Haberer's Genius Hour

Mutiny 

"All things are difficult before they are easy."


I feel that I have come a long way this week.  However, with that came a lot of struggle and frustration.  The closer I got to finishing my first project the more I wanted to keep going.  I worked a lot extra than I probably should have, but I finished my scarf.  

When I went back to watching the video so I could figure out how to 'cast off' and finish up the end of my scarf I was very nervous.  After the beginning of the scarf, the middle was pretty repetitive and I gained some confidence.  Things that were frustrating though was that as the scarf go longer, everything kept needed to get untangled/twisted which took extra time and patience.  

I also became very frustrated when I ran out of yarn to close up my scarf.  I had no idea that I needed a very long piece of yarn that wasn't wrapped around the pegs to close up my scarf.  As I was going through the closing steps, my anxiety was kicking in.  I had come so far and did not want to quit now.  But, the yarn was gone and I was not.  I took a piece of yarn that my daughter had been using for other things and just tied it on hoping it would work and not be noticeable.  Luckily, it is a very small piece and at the end and can be hidden when wearing the scarf.  

I was very upset that the video did not warn me that I needed a pretty long piece of yarn to finish the job.  Other than that,the video was great for be to begin with.  I decided to gift the scarf to my Mom.  She will be so happy when I tell her it is hers.  

I was eager to start another project, so after posting me finished product on social media, I decided to try a hat.  I ordered more yarn but it will not be here for a few days.  Then, my daughter asked if I could make her a hat with the two yarns she has. I said yes, of course. 

These skeins of yarn are very long and the yarn itself is much thinner than my first project so I used two pieces together.  It gets tangled and annoying as well as the tutorial for the hat starts going to the left instead of the right which was hard for me to get used to.  I am sure I could have went the other way, but being so new still I did not want to try.  

My daughter being 7 wants everything instantly.  So, I have been working extra on this hat.  I even brought outside today to work at the table while my kids were playing for hours with the water toys in back.  The brim of the hat was a bit different but I got it done with no problem.  Aside from the tangled yarn and new way of moving my hand, I almost finished the hat in one day.

But, when I went to go find the tool I needed to thread the rest of the yarn through to close up the hole for the hate, i can't find it.  It is somehow missing.  I gave up searching after about a half hour and am going to order a new one. I had it about 10 minutes before I needed it so being frustrated and aggravated is an understatement. 

The setbacks are not going to slow me down forever.  I am enjoying this much more than I had anticipated.  I can't wait to continue with making new items for more loved ones.


                                       


1 comment:

  1. AWWW, your daughter looks so excited to wear that scarf! She's adorable and it shows that she loves what you made. The question is...will she give it back or is it her favorite scarf now!

    ReplyDelete