I feel that graphic design can and should be tied into all subject areas at some point. It is so important to give students the opportunity to be creative and make their work unique while still learning the curriculum. When information or different topics are brought to your attention in a catchy way, it is easier to want to learn as well as stay interested in it.
I know that many people, myself included, are visual learners and highly benefit from pictures, graphs and various ways of being creative with showing information. My students are usually drawn to a catchy song, something that sticks out in a commercial or are drawn to something specific in a magazine or book which is great. So, catching their attention at school the same way would be very beneficial as well as let them be part of creating something, too.
Whenever I can, I try to include pictures, slogans, links to graphs or other important information to keep my students interested in learning new material. Even when I am creating new slides, I try to keep them interesting enough so hopefully they stay focused and learn what is expected. During health class, I try to give students options to adhere to their different learning styles and personalities. During the drug unit, students get creative by either creating a poster, pamphlet or Google Slideshow with all of the necessary information. We also created a drug free shirt which used to always be on paper. Thanks to covid, it helped me push out of my own comfort zone and allow for creativity using slides to create one. During the sex ed unit, we do something similar with STI’s and for the disease unit also. The possibilities are endless during our SEL lessons as well and as the years go on, I am always amazed by the uniqueness.
When I first started teaching, I was so afraid to change up and give options for assignments because I thought everyone should complete the same assignment so it could be graded fairly. As the years go on, I realize that does not have to be the case and it is so amazing to see the different styles of all my students and they are still learning everything that was expected.
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI am like you and learning through visuals has always made understanding material easier. I really like the idea of your assignment in health class of having students create a pamphlet, poster, or Google Slideshow with the information. It is amazing how creative students can be when tasked with these types of tasks.
Just like Mike said, I have always been more of a visual learner. I think giving your student the creativity to design their own can benefit all types of learners as well. I agree with your statement that letting them create is just as important and getting their attention.
ReplyDeleteHi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI teach health as well and love the idea of using a graphic design assignment for a drug free tshirt. I feel like students buy into that kind of idea and that some students might actually use the design to make a shirt. Our advanced health students made a shirt one year that said "Multiple Methods Every Time". It wasn't even part of an assignment. They just loved the message and idea and took it upon themselves to have shirts printed and distributed to their friends.
Laura