Genius Hour was such a fun experience. To be honest, I never heard of the term 'Genius Hour' before this class. After I read about it, it made sense and I was ready to dive in. I am glad with the project that I ended up choosing. Now that I am familiar with the process and can hopefully be disciplined enough to keep doing my own Genius Hours, I hope to knock out my other options which had to do with French braiding and getting faster at a 5k.
Like most things new in my life, I was scared to start my loom knitting journey. I tend to get nervous about taking on new tasks because I am afraid of failing and get very frustrated. However, I pushed through my comfort zone and loom knitting went from being overwhelming and a bit of a chore to something that I look forward to and enjoy.
The numerous YouTube videos and Pinterest posts helped me a lot. I like that I could pause the video and watch certain parts numerous times to feel confident enough to start the new stitch. I am a visual and hands-on learner, so this was a perfect combination for me. I did have to work on paying closer attention when doing certain stitch patterns because once you mess up, you cant fix it (or I do not know how to yet anyway). I recently bought knitting markers that seem like they are going to be a big help for me because I do not like to have to focus in 100% while knitting because they takes some of the fun out of it; it does not feel as relaxing.
I am going to take back a lot from this project to the classroom. I always include how it is ok to make mistakes and to take risks whether it is int he classroom, in athletics or your personal life. I will share stories of my learning process in hope that they can make a general connection. I will even use this to help with short and long term goal setting plans. I may also even through out suggestions or something extra to try their own genius hour project that may not be school related and more than happy to help them to have a smooth and successful process. I plan on moving forward with what I started and hopefully make some more things for friends and family. Next on my list are mug rugs (coasters).









Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteYour knitting products look amazing! You have made so many things in this short time of the class. Your daughter looks like she enjoys what you made as well, those will be great when it gets colder outside. I think it's great that you found something that you enjoy doing and relaxes you. Good luck with your other goals as well!
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your hats! They are so cute! You really accomplished a lot of projects in the short time that we had! That is so awesome that you were able to apply your skills you learned to create so many different items! This is very cool that you are going to continue this idea even now that Genius Hour is done. Congrats on all of the hard work!
Hi Stephanie!
ReplyDeleteI love all of the things you have knitted and your models are super cute, too! It looks like you have learned a variety of things to make. I'm happy to hear your journey was a positive one as well! I also feel like I get overwhelmed to start something new, but happy this gave us the chance to push ourselves out of our comfort zone! I hope you continue to enjoy this new hobby!
Danielle
Wow! All those hats you have made are adorable! You are on a roll. I know what you mean, I would love to continue to give myself some genius hour time moving forward. It's great self discovery and improvement. Perhaps while I do this with my class, I can also model doing my own Genius Hour again. I think your students will love hearing about all the ups and downs of your journey. They need to hear that. They will love seeing all that you created. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThose look FANTASTIC!! I would love to order one of those, or multiple. It really shows how much hard work goes into making those items through knitting. Honestly, I would probably get so frustrated and quit. I could a bit of a side Facebook business in your future haha!! Fantastic work!
ReplyDeleteThanks. If you don't live too far from me I would be happy to drop something off for you! Let me know
Delete